I really need to get it together. I had planned to write this post Friday, but ended up hosting an impromptu slumber party for my daughter. Yesterday I thought about writing, but we went out as a family instead. We had lunch at Hungry Wolf restaurant in Manchester. Then we went to Carr Park so Hannah could play on the barn playscape.
I could have easily moved past this post idea, but I feel like I would have been depriving the world of something great. In my mind, the 400 followers I have is equivalent to the world. So the first thing I am going to tell you is that Panera Bread sells bread bowls! You can order them online and have them delivered to your car when you arrive. They are a crusty bread with soft insides and go perfectly with my Broccoli Cauliflower Soup.
Easy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the broths and vegetables into a large pot and bring it to a boil over HIGH heat. Reduce to low and let simmer 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the veggies.
- Stir in the milk.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the flour mixture to the soup pot, stirring constantly. Add in both the cheese and continue simmering until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bread bowls.
Makes 12 servings.
We have one more Friday left before Easter, so if you practice meatless Fridays for Lent, I encourage you to try this soup next week. It is a filling, comfort meal and provides a nice change of pace from the normal fish fry. Just make sure you have the crusty bread to go with it.
Have a wonderful week.