This is part two of the happiness list for favorite media titles. It is part of List 17 in the 52 Lists for Happiness Journal. When I was making this list, I realized that I enjoy movie trilogies, similar to how I read entire series of books. I also love a good romance, some action and a light-hearted scare.
Top 10 Movies
- The Princess Bride: This is my favorite movie EVER! I can quote the entire movie, which super annoys my husband. My boys do the fight seen and quote Indigo Montaya as we watch as well. This movie always makes me smile, no matter what my mood is.
- The Fast & the Furious movies: I am a sucker for Vin Diesel. I think because her he reminds me of my husband, slightly in looks, but definitely in presence. He has a commanding military style presence but always puts his family first in these movies. Add in a great sound track, and cool cars. I am happy to sit on the couch, eat junk food and watch them all day long.
- The Muppets Take Manhattan: When I was a little girl. my dad would rent movies for us every Saturday. I had him rent this one for my brother and I every other weekend while I was growing up. It was my first introduction to the Muppet Babies, which I love. Piggy’s over the top personality also makes me laugh. On a sad note. when I lost my brother, the song It’s Time for Saying Goodbye ran through my head the entire day of the funeral.
- Scream Trilogy: Yes these are lame horror movies. Yes, I realize each movie gets worse. Yes, I realize Deputy Dewey is a terrible hero who never dies. All that said, these movies are my guilty pleasure. I can’t take Matt Lillard serious in the first movie, because there is no way Shaggy can be a serial killer. The fact that every big headliner dies in the first 20 minutes also cracks me. (Sorry Jada and Drew.) These are the movies Kenzie and I watch while Rob is hunting. He makes fun of us, and we are okay with it.
- Mary Poppins: It has to be the original from 1964 with Julie Andrews. I can sing all the songs. I dance with the penguins and the chimney sweeps. I sing “Let’s Go Fly a Kite” when we play with kites. So basically, I am admitting that I want to be Mary Poppins when I grow up. And since it’s on Disney+ I can watch it whenever I want.
- Bad Boys Trilogy: The combination of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence makes these movies great action comedies. I love that they keep the original cast through all the movies. Mike Lowrey is the perpetual bachelor who lives for his job. Marcus Burnett is a family man who loves his partner like a brother. Together they take down the bad guys and fight like an old married couple. Even the new one was great when I saw it in the theater.
- A Chorus Line: I love old musicals. I think it stems from watching Shirley Temple movies with my dad when I was little. The musical numbers from A Chorus Line are my favorite though. I used to dress up in my leotard and act out the song At the Ballet. I laugh every the song Tits and Ass comes on. And of course One gets stuck in my head and I walk around humming it for days.
- The Lethal Weapon series: Mel Gibson and Danny Glover were the original comedy/action cop duo. Gibson as Martin Riggs is always rushing into situation without thinking. Danny Glover’s Mutaugh threatens to retire in every movie, but never seems to be able to go through with it. Toilet bombings, antics at the South African consulate and the addition of Chris Rock in the 4th movie make this one of my favorite series.
- The Longest Ride: This is one of those times where I think the movie was better than the book. Britt Robertson and Scott Eastwood have great chemistry. The love letters Alan Alda wrote for his wife make me smile and cry at the same time. I love how both relationships progress throughout the movie until you reach the happily ever after.
- The Harry Potter films: You already know I love the books, but the movies hold up under the microscope. I love watching Harry, Hermione and Ron grow up on screen. I love the fantasy of the Hogwarts castle. I want to dance at the ball and pet Hedwig. I want to have tea in Hagrid’s cottage. These movies are meant for lazy family days in fantasy land.
So that is my movie list. What do you think? Do you have any favorites that you think I should add to the list? Let me know in the comments.